Hide and Seek

 For the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.  ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

A familiar lump under the covers!
 Several years ago, my then-5-year-old and I were finishing his usual bedtime scenario one evening. Teeth were brushed, the Bible story was read, and the race began up the stairs to bed.  I purposely held back, as I always did, making certain he would win the race.  Cameron flew down the hall, around the corner, and disappeared into his room.  As I entered, the usual lump appeared under the covers in the lower bunk, complete with the slight movement of silent giggles.  “Mom, try to find me!” came the familiar sing-song phrase. 

I began my routine.  “Let’s see, where could my boy be?  Is he in the closet?  No.  Behind the door?  Not there either.  Hmm.  Where is Cameron?”  This time, instead of my usual, “There he is!” and sudden tickle attack on his bed, I tried something new.  I said, “I give up.  It’s just impossible.” 

Silence.  No more wiggles or giggles under the covers.  Then a quiet, serious reply:  “Mom, all things are possible with God.” 

Though his bedtime routine had been disrupted, my son’s words reminded me he knew it was not only possible to find him, but that I would never give up looking.  He knew I would never leave him.  He trusted I would always seek after him, always find him, always wrap my arms around him with tickles and love as I held him close. 

The unwavering assurance a child hopes to find in his parent is the assurance we always have from our loving heavenly Father.  Our attempts to hide from God are no more successful than this child’s attempts to hide from his mother.  The Lord seeks after us and finds us, even as we attempt to hide under the dark covers of our sin.  “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)  Jesus’ atoning sacrifice for our sins assures us we are forgiven, and He will never leave us nor forsake us.  He chooses us as His own dear children and wraps His arms of love around us. All things – even the salvation of sinners like you and me – are possible with God in Christ Jesus.

Dear heavenly Father,  I know I cannot hide from You under the dark covers of my sin.  Thank You for seeking after me and finding me; for sending Your Son as the atonement for that sin by His death and resurrection; for wrapping Your arms of love around me and holding me close.  In Jesus' name I pray.  Amen 


He holds you close...


1 comment:

  1. Deb, I love the way you bring Jesus into the seeming small things in our lives. How comforting it is to be reminded that we will never be lost from Him, and that we never need to hide from Him. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete