Sip, Savor, & Drink Deeply: He Knows Your Name

I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands. 
Isaiah 49:15–16

I stepped inside my favorite coffee shop the other day and two familiar voices called out together from behind the counter, “Deb!” A warmth flowed into me as if I’d already taken my first sip of hot latte, and I thought, They never forget me! As I approached the counter, we began the friendly rapport we share each time I walk into their shop. Sometimes I’m grabbing a cup to go; other times I’m meeting a friend. But that day, I arrived at my favorite coffee shop alone, ready to sit with my Savior for a time of devotion, writing, and prayer.

I’ve become what some would call a “regular” at this shop, and when I arrived that day, the baristas not only knew my name, but they also knew my favorite flavor blend, served up just the way I like it. “Let me guess, Deb: a halfsie again today? Half raspberry and half white chocolate; half skim and half whole milk; a half shot of espresso. Am I right?” I laughed and nodded. We chatted a little while longer, then I headed to my table and opened my Bible.

As I began to read, they delivered my drink. The side of the cup read “We love Deb!” with a big heart. Once again, a warmth flowed through me, this time as I pondered the expressions of love printed on the cup and written across the pages before me. I paused to pray, thanking God for the baristas’ reminder that I am known. I am loved.

While my barista buddies know my name, label my cup with love, and learn a little more about me each time we meet, there is One who knows me completely (Psalm 139) and loves me with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). He created me in His image (Genesis 1:27) and sent His Son to the cross to save me from my sins              (1 Corinthians 15:3). He calls me His child (John 3:1–2), and He will never forget me (Isaiah 49:15).

Even better than seeing my name handwritten on the side of a cup is knowing my name is engraved on the palm of God’s hand. And so is yours. He loves you! He knows your name.

Father God, You know my name! Thank You for expressing Your everlasting love for me across the pages of Scripture and at the cross of Christ, my Savior! In His name. Amen.

From Sip, Savor, and Drink Deeply Devotions by Deb Burma © 2017 CPH. 
Reprinted with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment